Although Sony's IFA press conference hasn't kicked off yet, we've managed to catch wind of the Xperia Z1 smartphone and all its juicy details. The Xperia Z1 will be a follow-up smartphone to the Xperia Z with a 20.7Mp camera.
Sony has said it has the 'world's leading camera in a smartphone'.
Sony Xperia Z1: Release date
Sony has confirmed that the Xperia Z1 will launch on a global scale this month, so it should be in shops within a matter of weeks.
Clove has said the Xperia Z1 is expected on the week commencing 16 September. Customers will be able to pre-order the Z1 with Three from tomorrow and those who do will get a pair of Sony Wireless NFC One-Touch BTN200 headphones worth £99.
Sony Xperia Z1: Price
As usual for a new smartphone, there isn't a confirmed price. Based on the Xperia Z's price and the Z1's impressive specifications, the handset will be rather on the expensive side of things. It will easily cost in excess of £500 and we wouldn't be surprised if it was closer to £600.
EE will be offering it for £29.99 on a £41 per month 24 month plan with a free SmartWatch 2 included. Three has said it will need a £99 upfront cost combined with deals starting from £34 per month. Or you can get it for £549 on Pay As You Go.
Clove has announced that the Xperia Z1 will cost £564 on a SIM-free basis.
Sony Xperia Z1: Specs
- Design: Dust and water resistant (IP55 and IP58)
- Operating System: Android 4.2 Jelly Bean
- Screen: 5 in Full HD (1080 x 1920), Triluminos, X-Reality
- Processor: 2.2 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 quad-core
- Storage: 16 GB, microSD (up to 64 GB)
- Memory: 2GB
- Camera (rear): 20.7 Mp, Exmore RS sensor, Bionz processing engine, 27 mm G lens, F2.0, 8x digital zoom, HDR, burst mode, object tracking, 1080p video
- Camera (front): 2Mp, 1080p
- Connectivity: Bluetooth 4.0, NFC, MHL support, aGPS, DLNA, 4G LTE
- Battery: 3000mAh, up to 830 mins talk time, up to 880 hours standby
Sign up for CIO Asia eNewsletters.