The teen arrested last year in connection with the huge DNS reflection DDoS attack against anti-spam outfit Spamhaus has been charged, the National Crime Agency (NCA) has said.
Police still haven't named the London-based 17 year-old, whose arrest in the aftermath of the March 2013 attack was kept secret for several months, but he has now been formally charged with computer misuse, fraud and money laundering.
"The NCA has taken the decision not to name him at the point of charge since he is a minor and therefore a vulnerable individual," the organisation said of the teen who was 16 years old at the time of his alleged offences.
On Monday he was bailed to appear today, 30 June, at Camberwell Green Youth Court.
The precise role of the teen in what remains the largest recorded DDoS ever to strike the Internet - around 300GBits/s said independent sources - should become clear as the court process progresses.
"The suspect was found with his computer systems open and logged on to various virtual systems and forums. The subject has a significant amount of money flowing through his bank account. Financial investigators are in the process of restraining monies," the police said last September after his arrest.
The only other individual arrested in connection with the Spamhaus attack was Dutch national Sven Olaf Kamphuis, picked up in Spain in April 2013. As the leader of the CyberBunker rogue ISP, Kamphuis allegedly launched the attack as a reprisal for being blacklisted by the spam-fighting organisation.
Sign up for CIO Asia eNewsletters.