Department of Veterans Affairs
- System: Benefits Delivery Network
- Age: 51
- Function: Tracks claims filed by veterans for benefits, eligibility, and dates of death. This system is a suite of COBOL mainframe applications.
- Replacement coming?: No -The agency has general plans to roll capabilities into another system, but there is no firm time frame associated with this transition.
Department of Justice
- System: Sentry
- Age: 35
- Function: Provides information regarding security and custody levels, inmate program and work assignments, and other pertinent information about the inmate population. The system uses COBOL and Java programming languages.
- Replacement coming?: Yes -The agency plans to update the system through September 2016.
Social Security Administration
- System: Title II Systems
- Age: 31
- Function: Determines retirement benefits eligibility and amounts. The investment is comprised of 162 subsystems, some of which are written in COBOL.
- Replacement coming?: Yes -The agency has ongoing modernization efforts, including one that is experiencing cost and schedule challenges due to the complexities of the legacy software.
Sign up for CIO Asia eNewsletters.