How can I connect a PS4 controller to my Mac? I enjoy Mac gaming but PlayStation gamepads are great.
Keen Mac gamers should consider hooking up a PS4 controller to a Mac. It's easy to connect a PlayStation gamepad to Mac OS X, either using Bluetooth or a USB cable. And once you have a PS4 controller connected to a Mac, you can use it to play Mac games in style.
The PS4 gamepad is one of the best gaming controllers on the market. What may surprise you is just how easy it is to set up a PS4 gamepad to work with OS X.
In this feature, we're going to look at the two ways to connect your PS4 controller to a Mac.
How to connect a PS4 controller to a Mac: USB
The easiest way to connect a PS4 controller to a Mac is to use a Micro USB cable. Follow these steps:
- Use a Micro-USB cable to connect the PS4 controller to your Mac.
- Press the PlayStation button in the middle of the gamepad (to turn it on).
- Choose Apple > About this Mac.
- Click System Report.
- Choose USB.
- Look for Wireless Controller under USB.
If you can see Wireless Controller (it's called "wireless" even though it's connected via a cable), then your PS4 controller is connected to the Mac. It'll now work with any compatible games.
How to connect a PS4 controller to a Mac: Bluetooth
Hooking up your PS4 to a Mac using Bluetooth is great because it enables you to game without the wire. So you can sit back and use the Mac just like you'd use a console.
Setting up a PS4 controller to a Mac via Bluetooth takes a bit more effort, but it's still not difficult. Follow these steps to set up your PS4 gamepad with a Mac wirelessly.
- Open System Preferences (Apple menu > System Preferences).
- Click Bluetooth.
- Put the PS4 controller in Discovery Mode by holding down the PlayStation button and Share button at the same time.
- The light on the front of the controller will flash quickly, and Wireless Controller will appear in the Bluetooth window. Click Pair.
The device will now say connected, and you'll see how. You can now use the PlayStation controller with the Mac.
Playing games in Mac OS X using a PS4 controller
Now that you've connected your PS4 controller to a Mac you can use it to play games. Bear in mind that it won't work with every game, just those that have support for wireless controllers.
One great app that has support for the PS4 controller is OpenEMU. This app enables you to play emulation games on your Mac. With OpenEMU, you can download and play classic arcade games, as well as old console games. Here's how to set up OpenEmu to work with your PS4 controller.
- Choose OpenEMU > Preferences.
- Change Input to Sony PS4 Dualshock 4
Sign up for CIO Asia eNewsletters.