Subscribe / Unsubscribe Enewsletters | Login | Register

Pencil Banner

Frustrated by new tech?

Matt Hamblen | Jan. 6, 2015
Is your new smartwatch relevant, and other pressing concerns.

Luukkonen said with new wearables, there's too much focus on product features and not enough on the "holistic, digital experience."

Dubravac, who recently penned a book titled Digital Destiny, said there's a difference between "what can be done with technology and what's technologically meaningful." While a smartwatch or fitness band might digitize the number of steps the users takes each day, the greater value is how that information is "potentially meaningful to other processes," such as how that matters to a weight-reduction goal.

Almost every smartwatch or fitness band on the market is tied to health-related app or software package, but the connection between the two isn't clear enough, yet.

"Information isn't enough," Dubravac said. "It has to have some level of influence back into our physical space."

Have vendors failed to demonstrate that sufficient level of influence? With smartwatches, Dubravac asked, "does it make sense to digitize the wrist? Smartwatches continue to see growth ... and some argue it does make sense, while others argue it doesn't."

The CEA foresees shipments of nearly 11 million smartwatches in the U.S. in 2015, which will produce $3.1 billion in revenue. And the overwhelming majority of product makers at CES believe their new products are highly useful and easy to use for consumers and workers.

Asked for their reaction to Accenture's finding that 83% of users reported problems when using new products like smartwatches, several CES attendees laughed or questioned the Accenture findings. "I definitely think we go out of our way to make our products easy and meaningful," one vendor of a trip-taking technology said, asking not to be identified.

Steve Koenig, the CEA's director of industry analysis, said there may be a great amount of user frustration with smartwatches and new devices, but there's also been a lot of innovation in products generally in the past decade to help less tech savvy users.

Makers of voice recognition software, touch and gesture interfaces and other technologies, are generally working to simplify how devices are used, he said. The new Samsung Gear S smartwatch, for example, relies on voice inputs, a touchscreen and just a single physical button.

There will always be advanced users, like many of the attendees at CES, and less advanced users, and various products are focused on those different market segments, Koenig said.

"In general, I'd said overall technology is getting easier to use," he continued. "There's always been a segment of the population that struggles with technology and another segment that thrives. Ease of use is a key feature of Apple's products and a number of other brands."

The key lesson in all of this may be to remember the untutored users who can too easily be dismissed as technophobes. Maybe there really are 83%, or some other high number of users who get frustrated with new devices, while the other 17% just attend CES every year.


Previous Page  1  2 

Sign up for CIO Asia eNewsletters.