Subscribe / Unsubscribe Enewsletters | Login | Register

Pencil Banner

Top 7 reasons people unsubscribe from your email list

Jennifer Lonoff Schiff | March 26, 2015
Business owners and marketers spend a lot of time getting customers to opt-in or subscribe to their email newsletters and lists. However, they often don't exert the same effort to ensure that these customers they worked so hard to get stay engaged. And then they are puzzled (and annoyed) when that "unsubscribed" notification shows up in their in box.

6. You're always trying to sell them something.

"Some people unsubscribe because every email they get from you is an advertisement to buy your products or services," says Gloria Rand, an Internet marketing consultant. "Don't barrage your subscribers with sales emails all the time." Instead, "follow the 80/20 rule: 80 percent of your emails should feature helpful tips or strategies related to your industry, [or] free ebooks, templates or registrations for free webinars. The other 20 percent of your emails can be sales-related."

"As business owners we all want to convert potential leads into paying customers," says Brian Bowers, assistant director of operations, 48 Hour Film Project. "But dumping someone into a sales funnel right away is the quickest way to get them to unsubscribe." Indeed, "people are inundated with thousands of virtual sales pitches every day. If your email is just a hard sell to get them to purchase something, it's going to get lost in the shuffle."

The solution: "Provide [helpful information and] original, relevant content in your newsletters," he says. "It not only keeps your emails from looking like a sales pitch, but also establishes you as an expert who has legitimate solutions to help solve their problems. Sure, not everyone will end up buying, but you can bet that when the time comes that they do need your help, you'll be at the top of their list of people to turn to."

7. They feel your content is boring, unoriginal and/or repetitive.

"Creating content is hard. Producing varied and engaging content is even harder," says Tyler Walton, marketing manager, Clutch, a loyalty program provider. "Yet, it's worth the effort to ensure that subscribers don't find your content repetitive and boring. In fact, content marketing research shows that marketers who align content to their audiences' interests at specific stages of the buyer's journey enjoy an average 73 percent higher conversion rates vs. marketers who don't do so," he points out.

Furthermore, "not only should your value-added content be varied, the way you present it should be as well. Use blog posts, articles, infographics, SlideShares, pictures and videos to convey your story in a diverse way," Walton says. And "if you can't come up with interesting content at the frequency you initially promised [or desired], slow down your pace. Your subscribers won't complain [about] less quantity as long as you give them great quality."

"If you're providing information that can be found anywhere, by default you are not providing value," says Pophal. "With so much content freely available to audiences of all kinds, those that are able to provide unique information will gain and maintain an audience."

 

Previous Page  1  2  3  4 

Sign up for CIO Asia eNewsletters.