Taking care of PC security
As a great deal of website malware is spread with the use of infected PCs, the security of the desktop computer used to manage your website is one of the most important aspects of website security. Keeping your computer clean and safe at all times will significantly improve the chances of your website staying safe and clean as well.
If you own the server, you should pay attention to configuring it as securely as possible. Such activity may include, but is not limited to:
1. removing all unused software
2. disabling all unnecessary services and modules
3. setting appropriate policies for users and groups
4. setting secure permissions / restricting access to certain files and directories
5. disabling directory browsing
6. collecting log files, which are checked for suspicious activity on a regular basis, and
7. using encryption and secure protocols.
Sign up for CIO Asia eNewsletters.