Afrizal Abdul Rahim, Ericsson ConsumerLab head for Southeast Asia and Oceania
Last year, Singapore was the world's leading country in smartphone usage or penetration (74 percent), followed by Hong Kong, UAE and South Korea. This year, South Korea and Hong Kong have beaten Singapore in the tally: Singapore is No.4 in rank, after Norway at No.3.
This is despite the fact that Singapore now has a penetration rate of 78 percent in 2013.
When it comes to tablets, Hong Kong is No.1 in the world (55 percent penetration). Singapore was No.2 in 2012 but has slipped down the ladder to No.3 spot this year (42 percent), behind Norway (45 percent).
In app usage, South Korea beats all countries in the world with 85 percent uasge/penetration. Last year, Singapore was at No.9 with 70 percent penetration. This year, Singapore has moved up to No.5 position, with 75 percent penetration. Interestingly, it is still behind Malaysia by one percentage point. Malaysia has 76 percent penetration rate.
This is according to a research released by telecom and networking company, Ericcson. Ericsson ConsumerLab undertook analysis of an online panel study of 500 Singapore residents aged 16-60 who are daily Internet users. This was part of a survey of 43 countries covering a total of 38,000 people carried out by TNS.
Other major highlights of the study are as follows:
- Users of Android smartphones have jumped in Singapore between last year and this year. Android devices have now 48 percent penetration while iOs devices have a 40 percent penetration rate. Last year, Android had only 29 percent market share in Singapore.
- Among the top reasons given by the respondents on their intent to purchase a smartphone included to upgrade their device, to access relevant apps and to surf the Internet.
- Tablet penetration in Singapore has increased from 31 percent in 2012 to 42 percent in 2013.
- A noticeable change is the jump in apps usage from 70 percent in 2012 to 75 percent in 2013, which ranks Singapore fifth in apps usage among the 43 countries included in this years' analysis. In 2012, Singapore was ranked as No.9.
- At the same time, there is an increase in the usage of instant messaging, social networks, and video among those who are smartphone users.
- Among daily Internet users, tablet penetration on the other hand increased by 11 percent from 2012 to 2013.
Sign up for CIO Asia eNewsletters.