Photo - K Raman, Managing Director, Microsoft Malaysia at a recent exhibition.
In tandem with 189 other countries, productivity company Microsoft Malaysia has announced the availability of Windows 10 from Wednesday, 29th July 2015.
Microsoft Malaysia's managing director K Raman said: "We are excited and energized for Windows 10 - with new innovations such as Microsoft Edge and Windows Hello2, it's more personal and productive."
"It's also safer and secure, more familiar, and automatically up to date. We're giving away Windows 10 as a free upgrade to Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 customers - which may be our boldest bet yet - signifying a new era for both Windows and Microsoft," said Raman.
He said Windows 10's new features include:
- New Microsoft Edge browser
- Continuum optimises apps and experiences across touch and desktop modes.
- Built-in apps including Photos; Maps; Microsoft's new music app, Groove; and Movies & TV offer entertainment and productivity options. With OneDrive, files can be easily shared and kept up-to-date across all devices.
- A Microsoft Phone Companion app enables iPhones, Android or Windows phones to work seamlessly with Windows 10 devices.
- The all new Office Mobile apps for Windows 10 tablets are available today in the Windows Store.3 Built for work on-the-go, the Word, Excel and PowerPoint apps offer a consistent, touch-first experience for small tablets. For digital note-taking needs, the full-featured OneNote app comes pre-installed with Windows 10. The upcoming release of the Office desktop apps (Office 2016) will offer a full feature set for professional content creation.
Raman said feedback from millions of It professionals has helped to develop Windows 10, and that it will help companies protect against modern cyberattacks as well as allow control over the frequency of their updates and select the features and functionality appropriate for each group of their employees.
He said that Windows 10 includes built-in, enterprise-grade security, so customers can replace passwords with more secure options, protect corporate data and corporate identities, and run only the software they trust. New management and deployment tools simplify device management, help lower costs, and enable companies to power their business with the enterprise strength of the Microsoft Azure cloud.
Raman added that in a recent poll of leading developers across eight markets in the Asia-Pacific, including Malaysia, 78 percent of the developer community indicated that they were likely to develop apps for Windows 10. "We are excited to be launching the Windows 10 Software Development Kit today in Asia Pacific, where we see incredible opportunities for developers to reach out to millions of Windows 10 users in this region," said Raman.
Upgrading to Windows 10 is straightforward for customers running a genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 PC or tablet, he said. "Starting Wednesday, people who reserved their upgrade to Windows 10 will be notified in waves when their upgrade is ready to be installed. For business customers, Windows 10 is available to start deploying within their work environments, and starting Aug. 1, organisations that have volume licensing can upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Education."
Information on upgrading, new and compatible devices, and apps for Windows can be found at www.windows.my with additional information
In addition, Microsoft's retail partners were ready to ready to help people upgrade to Windows 10. "We are committed to bringing Windows 10 to as many consumers and organisations as possible in Malaysia in the coming months. In addition to the online upgrades, we are working with our six leading IT retailers such as Senheng Electric (KL), ALL IT Hypermarket and Thundermatch Technology to set up some 70 Tech Bench locations where consumers can look forward to getting help to migrate from Windows 7 and 8 to the best Windows ever."
"For consumers and businesses looking for the latest Windows 10 devices, we are excited to announce that we will have the widest range of Windows hardware ever available by this holiday season," he added,
Sign up for CIO Asia eNewsletters.