New features offered by the iPhone 6 that aren't in the iPhone 5s:
- Retina HD display
- 4.7-inch display (compared to 4-inch)
- 1334-by-750 pixel resolution at 326ppi (compared to 1136-by-640-pixel resolution at 326 ppi)
- 1400:1 contrast ratio (compared to 800:1 contrast ratio)
- Dual-domain pixels for wider viewing angles
- Display Zoom
- A8 & M8 chips (compared to A7 & M7)
- Autofocus with Focus Pixels
- Improved face detection
- Panorama, up to 43 megapixels
- 1080p HD video recording, 30 fps or 60 fps (was 30 fps)
- Slo-mo video, 120 fps or 240 fps (was 120 fps)
- Cinematic video stabilization
- Continuous autofocus video
- Improved face detection on both cameras
- ’/2.2 aperture for FaceTime camera (compared to ’/2.4 aperture)
- Auto HDR for photos and videos on FaceTime camera (previously Auto HDR only)
- Burst mode on FaceTime camera
- Pay with your iPhone using Touch ID in stores and in apps
- 802.11ac Wi-Fi
- FaceTime over cellular uses H.264/H.265
- Voice over LTE (VoLTE)3
- Up to 14 hours talk time on 3G (was 10)
- Up to 10 hours internet on 3G, up to 10 hours on LTE, and up to 11 hours on Wi-Fi (was 8 , 10 and 11)
- Up to 11 hours video playback (was 10)
- Up to 50 hours audio playback (was 40)
The iPhone 5c has a polycarbonate (plastic) shell that comes in six bright colours. Apple released the iPhone 5c alongside the iPhone 5s in September 2013. On the inside it's pretty similar to the iPhone 5, although the camera is better. It uses a Nano-SIM. Read our comparison review of the iPhone 5s versus the iPhone 5c. This model is now only available in 8GB. Read our iPhone 5c review.
If you've got an iPhone 5c... You may be wondering if you should upgrade to the iPhone 6 or iPhone 5s.
If last year you bought the iPhone 5c you would actually see a boost if you updated to the iPhone 5s now, because the processor is faster in that model. There are various other features that the iPhone 5s has that the iPhone 5c doesn't, like the Touch ID fingerprint scanner and a better camera with better photography features. Apple has dropped the price of the iPhone 5s compared to last year, so you could find it is more affordable now than it was.
Last year the iPhone 5s cost £549 for the 16GB version, £629 for the 32GB version, and £709 for the 64GB version. Now it costs £459 for the 16GB and £499 for the 32GB. That's £130 less for the 32GB version. You may also be able to pick up a good deal on a second hand iPhone 5s.
However, if you want to upgrade to the new iPhones with their bigger screens then at least if you sell your existing iPhone 5c you should get a reasonably good price for it.
Sign up for CIO Asia eNewsletters.