• Big Data will earn its place as the next "must have" competency in 2012 as the volume of digital content grows to 2.7 zettabytes (ZB), up 48% from 2011. More than 90% of this information will be unstructured (such as images, videos, MP3 files and files based on social media and Web-enabled workloads) -- full of rich information, but challenging to understand and analyze. 2012 is likely to be a busy year for Big Data-driven mergers and acquisitions as large IT vendors seek to acquire additional functionality.
• Mobile data network spending will exceed fixed data network spending for the first time.
• 80% of new commercial enterprise apps will be deployed on cloud platforms.
• 15% of new mobile apps will be based on HTML5 by year's end.
• Vendors from emerging markets, such as Huawei and China Telecom, will make an aggressive push into developed markets, including the U.S.
• The number of intelligent, communicating devices on the network will outnumber traditional computing devices by almost 2 to 1 within next 24 months.
Sign up for CIO Asia eNewsletters.