Pinterest, it's not just for brides-to-be, foodies and fashionistas anymore. Indeed, as the site has grown and grown up, it has turned into a popular spot for businesses of all types, including technology companies, to showcase and share their products, services and know-how.
So how can CIOs and other tech pros benefit from Pinterest? Following are 11 tips from Abhi Khune, the head of Infrastructure at Pinterest, on how those working in IT or for a technology company can take advantage of Pinterest.
1. Find and follow influencers. Your home feed is what you make of it. Search for colleagues or respected peers and leaders, such as Stephen Gillett, the COO at Symantec. Or see what other companies, such as CareCloud and IBM, are doing. Then follow those boards.
2. Follow leading IT news sources, such as the Wall Street Journal, Mashable , IDG Connect, TechCrunch and CNET. You can also search for all of the articles that are being pinned from a specific source by editing the URL and adding the website, e.g., http://pinterest.com/source/NameOfWebsite.com/. For example, you can search for content pinned from CIO.com here.
3. Pin helpful articles and books. Find an article you don't have time to read at that point, or discover a great business-related book that you want to read soon? Pin feature articles and books to read in the future to a board. (Examples: articles on mobile IT and cybersecurity news.)
6. Discover tech talks and webinars, via boards such as TED Talks.
7. Get career and talent search help. Looking for a new job? Search for terms like "interview tips" and "job search tips". Also check out resume tips from professional organizations like ABBTECH and Inside Jobs — or do a search for "resume tips".
Looking for talent? Check out what other companies are doing to showcase their company benefits and culture. For example, Target created a Target Careers account with boards for technology trends they're following, career advice and information on their leadership team.
9. Create a group board to collaborate with colleagues.
10. Find out what others are saying about your company. To see what others are pinning or saying about your company, type http://pinterest.com/source/YourWebsite.com/ into your browser.
Sign up for CIO Asia eNewsletters.