Photo - Nigel Tan, Director, Systems Engineering, Symantec Malaysia.
Security systems provider Symantec has announced the availability of Backup Exec 2014, which has been enhanced following feedback from customers and partners around the world.
During the recent launch in Kuala Lumpur, Symantec Malaysia director, systems engineering, Nigel Tan said, "To help build Backup Exec 2014, Symantec sourced the collective feedback of about 3,700 customers and partners worldwide who participated in a beta programme. This feedback helped us do our homework in understanding what customers and partners really want in a backup and recovery solution."
"With more than 2 million Backup Exec customers worldwide and a set of new product features built from the feedback of our customers and partners, Symantec is set to make a big comeback into the backup and recovery market in Malaysia," said Tan.
"Backup Exec 2014 flexibly protects mixed virtual and physical architectures in a single solution that backs up to virtually any storage device and achieves fast, efficient, and versatile recovery," he said. "Traditional, complex and point backup and recovery solutions can be inefficient, time consuming, and expensive to manage. Through intuitive wizards and insightful dashboards, Backup Exec 2014 is easy to implement, use and manage - whether organisations are upgrading from a previous version or switching from an alternative solution."
Tan said some of the new features include:
- Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2 support: Backup Exec now fully supports Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2.
- Superior visibility into backup jobs: Based on customer feedback, the Backup Exec job monitor is back. Organisations can monitor the status of all backup jobs from a single view, giving them visibility into the status of their backup jobs. In addition, organisations can save time and simplify the creation of backup jobs by backing up and managing multiple servers with a single backup job.
- Cloud Capabilities: Backup Exec 2014 now supports Riverbed Whitewater Appliance and Quantum Q-Cloud.
- Simplified upgrade/migration process: Simplified migration process to the latest version from Backup Exec 12.5, 2010 or 2012.
- Granular recovery for Exchange 2013 and SharePoint 2013: Backup Exec granular recovery technology (GRT) is now available for Exchange 2013 and SharePoint 2013. From a single-pass backup, users can quickly recover granular objects such as Exchange email and SharePoint documents.
- Optimised performance: In our internal testing, Backup Exec 2014 has shown up to 100 per cent faster backup and deduplication speeds compared to previous versions of the software.
"Symantec's backup helps IT decision makers solve for the complexity around multiple environments, more data, and virtualisation," he said. "Without Symantec's backup and recovery tools, enterprises struggle to back up their information in a way that is quickly recoverable and accessible in case of emergency. Symantec helps companies simplify and speed up backup and processes."
Sign up for CIO Asia eNewsletters.