General advice to Internet users:
- Be aware that anything you do on the internet, including video and voice calls, can be recorded and manipulated for malicious purposes.
- Internet users are advised to adhere to best practices and religious or social ethics when they are online on social networking sites and online chat forums.
- Internet users should be very precautious with whom they 'friend' with and must not fulfill all unnecessary requests from other users while they are online.
- Be alert and suspicious of unusual activities on the net and immediately report it to relevant authorities.
- As preventive measure, configure your Skype to restrict communication with your contact list only by doing the following: Go to > Tools > Options > Privacy > Only Allow IMs, Calls etc from People on my Contact List > SAVE
- Always make sure your software and systems are up-to-date, and that you are using up-to-date security software.
- Never use your webcam to video call someone you do not know.
Sign up for CIO Asia eNewsletters.