One of Foxconn's main factories is reportedly about to stop making the iPhone 5c, in order to focus on iPhone 5s production. The news comes as iPhone 5s shipping times in the US begin to improve, a sign that Apple is pushing suppliers to meet iPhone 5s demand.
According to DigiTimes, "industry sources" have said that Foxconn's factory in the Chinese city of Zhengzhou will no longer produce the iPhone 5c, reducing Foxconn's iPhone 5c weekly output. Foxconn, one of Apple's main suppliers, is currently believed to be responsible for around 30 per cent of iPhone 5c orders, while Pegatron Technology is said to make the remaining 70 per cent.
The iPhone 5s has been suffering from supply issues since it launched in September, with shipping times in the UK still 1-2 weeks. However, in the US, shipping times for the iPhone 5s have improved to 3-5 days this week, suggesting that Apple has made changes to its supply chain to bring iPhone 5s production up to speed.
We hope to see the supply improvements mirrored in UK stores soon.
Earlier this month, reports suggested that Apple was adding manufacturing partners to its supply chain to also help boost iPhone 5s and iPad mini 2 production. The reports said Wistron and Compal Communications would be joining Apple's supply chain later this year.
Sign up for CIO Asia eNewsletters.