Implementations that broke new grounds in terms of breadth of application, and projects leveraging "3rd platform" technologies such as mobility and cloud, grabbed the attention of the judges deciding over this year's CIO Awards contenders.
The five winners - selected by a panel of independent judges from a 'Roll of Honour' short list, the 2015 CIO 100 Index - are The AIA Group (Hong Kong), Hong Leong Bank Berhad (Malaysia), Procter & Gamble Asia (Singapore), Singapore Post Limited (Singapore), and Tenaga Nasional Berhad (Malaysia).
For the first time, the five awards were presented under five separate categories, namely:
- Innovation: Projects that stand out in solving business and operational technology challenges in new or different ways will be assessed under this category.
- Transformation: This category looks for projects that help elevate an organisation's operations to bring about marked changes in customer service, business process, operational efficiency, technology implementation and/or technology use.
- Leadership: This category looks for projects that demonstrate how organisations have successfully leveraged technology to become a leader in their industries or markets.
- Growth: Effective planning, investment and deployment of resources to meet expansionary objectives such as a growing workforce, new offices, or increasing customer base, will be the focus here.
- Performance: This category looks for an outstanding project that demonstrated how streamlining, consolidating and working smarter have achieved excellent results for the organisation.
The annual CIO 100 index, coordinated by leading regional enterprise IT magazine CIO Asia, published by Executive Networks Media, recognises regional enterprises and organisations that have excelled through creative and innovative IT projects in the past 12 months.
The CIO 2015 Award winning projects are:
- Tranformation - The AIA Group: WAVE Enterprise Social Network
WAVE is AIA's company-wide Enterprise Social Network built on Microsoft Yammer technology that is fully integrated with Office365. Following an initial multi-phase rollout using JIVE, it underwent full transition to rollout, to enable social business, collaboration, employee engagement and future-readiness for the entire organisation. It met and exceeded internal KPIs and has been adopted as an Asia-wide best practice for the Group.
- Growth - Hong Leong Bank Berhad: PEx Mobile Payment Solution
PEx is a mobile payment function on Hong Leong Bank's mobile application that allows the bank's customers to send money to anyone in the country, using the recipient's mobile number. Funds can be transferred into other bank accounts or through the bank's ATMs. Customers can also withdraw money from an ATM without ATM cards.
- Leadership - Procter & Gamble Asia: Consumer Connect
Consumer Connect enables remote connections with consumers in context wherever they are, thereby enabling P&G to connect people and insights. By leveraging virtual research to develop connections with more consumers and use their feedback to improve P&G products, the P&G is able to create the right products at the right value proposition to better serve consumers. The project has been called out as top priority by company management to help in deep consumer understanding and in driving cost effective consumer engagement while improving productivity of P&G employees.
- Innovation - Singapore Post Limited: SingPost EzyTrak
EzyTrak is a state-of-the-art track and trace delivery system deployed on Android enabled phones, a first of its class in postal industry. The project was conceptualised and delivered in 10 months with SingPost's own operations and technology teams leading and partnering with various development partners to full deployment.
- Performance - Tenaga Nasional Berhad: MyTNB
MyTNB is a mobile application for TNB customers that aims to bring the nationwide power distributor closer to its consumers. An easy-to-use mobile app, it also serves as a contact point to customers via their mobile devices. It allows users to check monthly bills, status of electricity supply application, locate the nearest Customer Service Centre - via their Android or iOS devices. Other features include TNB contact channels and Renewable Energy Invoices.
Sign up for CIO Asia eNewsletters.