Twenty-four startups across the Asia Pacific region will be competing at the finals of the upcoming Fintech Finals 2016 (FF16) competition for the grand prize of US$10,000.
Co-organised by Next Bank and FinTech Hong Kong with support by Visa, FF16 will be held on 26 January 2016 in Hong Kong, as part of the StartmeupHK Festival. The competition will see finalists pitching their business ideas to live audiences and judges to be crowned "Best in Show."
The 24 finalists will consist of the six winning regional semi-finalists; the top 12 startup applications through the FF16 website picked by 50 fintech experts; and six startups sponsored by Startupbootcamp Fintech, Accenture Fintech Innovation Lab, Innotribe, BBVA Open Talent, Nest and Visa.
The six regional semi-finalists are:
- InvoiceInterchange (Singapore) which provides an alternative to traditional financing for SMEs, and gives them flexibility in managing cash flows.
- Shereit (Mumbai), an app for social trading.
- vLendRight (Bangalore), a platform for banks to deliver an end-to-end auto purchase platform for its customers in collaboration with partner dealers.
- Macrovue (Sydney), an online platform that assists people in investing in global themes of their choosing.
- Finotek (Seoul), a platform providing identity verification for internet banking as well as cloud-based mortgage processing.
- Currenseek (Kuala Lumpur), an app that allows the user to find the best rates nearby to exchange their money.
Besides the final competition, the two-day FF16 will bring together a host of global fintech luminaries to speak and moderate panel discussions. Speakers include:
- Chris Skinner, Chairman of Financial Services Club.
- Lara Gilman, Mobile Money Market Engagement Director, GSMA
- Gustavo Vinacua, Director, BBVA Innovation Center
- Ericson Chan, CIO, T&O, SCB HK & Greater China
- Matt Dill, SVP, Innovation & Strategic Partnerships, Visa
- Matteo Rizzi, Advisor, Omidyar Network
- David Lynch, Managing Director, DBS Bank
- Casey Lau, Co-Founder, StartupsHK
- Melissa Guzy, Co-Founder, Arbor Ventures
- Markus Gnirck, Cofounder & COO, Startupbootcamp Fintech
- Simon Squibb, Founder and CEO, Nest
- Christine Duhaime, Co-Founder, Digital Finance Inst.
- John Owens, Chief of Party, USAID
- SushmitaMunshi, AVP Dist. & Strategy, Manulife
- Jeff Blais, Head of CX & Innovation, AIG Japan
In addition to the FF16, Next Bank and Visa will continue their work together throughout Asia to support city chapters to promote discussion, innovation and entrepreneurship in the finance industry.
Sign up for CIO Asia eNewsletters.