Subscribe / Unsubscribe Enewsletters | Login | Register

Pencil Banner

15 strangest smartphone deaths: gadget disasters involving microwaves, wasps, shotguns and cleavage

Jim Martin | July 29, 2014
Insurers reveal amusing claims for damaged smartphones.

Strangest smartphone deaths and destruction

We take our smartphones everywhere, so it's no wonder that they end up in all manner of sorry states when we drop them, leave them in a taxi or plain old lose them. However, there are some extraordinary tales leading to some rather amusing insurance claims. Here are 10 of the best.

15 strangest smartphone deaths: water damage

Electronics' number one enemy is liquid: water and iPhones do not mix. It's not too surprising that gadget insurer Protect Your Bubble says that almost 10 percent of claims in 2013 were for liquid damage.

One of our very own office iPhones died when its owner (who shall remain nameless) dropped their 4S into the toilet bowl. It's a more common insurance claim than you might imagine - the books or magazines we used to read on the throne are quickly being substituted by their electronic equivalents.

It isn't just water that's a problem, though. One of Protect Your Bubble's customers claimed:

"I was decorating our living room and had my phone in my breast pocket. As I leant over to dip a brush in a five-litre pot of paint, the phone fell out and into the bottom of it."

Forgetfulness is one of the main reasons that smartphones get drenched and destroyed:

"I was on holiday in Egypt andI decided to go for a swim in the ocean, forgetting I had put my mobile phone in my cleavage for safekeeping. I didn't notice until I'd been in the sea for 10 minutes, and by that time my phone had stopped working."

But phones can also be trashed by distraction:

"I jumped into a swimming pool to escape a wasp, unfortunately with my mobile in my hand."

"I dunked my phone in my tea because I got distracted and thought it was a biscuit."

It's important to put your gadgets out of reach of children and pets, too:

"I couldn't find my phone indoors anywhere. I went into the garden later on to find that my dog had put it in the birdbath."

Beer and smartphones don't mix, but it isn't always the situation you'd expect. While a fair few handsets get accidentally dunked, one phones arrived in a plastic bag for inspection at US-based insurer Worth Avenue Group after someone who had too much to drink vomited on it. Urgh.

15 strangest smartphone deaths: smashed screen

Glass screens are the norm these days, which is slightly baffling given how easily they shatter when dropped. Some people use screen protectors, while others - reassured by the improved scratch resistance on modern LCDs - don't.

 

1  2  Next Page 

Sign up for CIO Asia eNewsletters.