6. Leverage your CRM system from the road. "Mobile access to your company's CRM system, to obtain or record prospect info (activity, status, financial, etc.), is invaluable," says Jonathan Block, vice president and practice director, technology, SiriusDecisions, a B2B sales and marketing research and consulting organization. "Mobile access to customer data is critical to field sales teams," concurs Mike Snyder, principal, Sonoma Partners, a business process consulting services company and Microsoft Dynamics CRM partner. "Sales representatives are inherently more effective if they can access information about their customers or clients in real time, even without Internet access."
7. Take orders from the road. With a smartphone "and an app that allows them to take orders over their smartphone (or tablet), your sales reps can be more productive while on the road," notes Marko Kovac, president, Salespod, a field sales and services automation solution provider.
8. Close deals faster. With a smartphone and an electronic signature app, "my clients can sign contracts anywhere in the world in just minutes via their smartphone," states Reed Rigging CEO Michael deZonna, who uses Adobe EchoSign.
9. Automate workflow in the field. For example, say "a delivery worker is set to provide a bar with 20 cases [of beer], but upon arrival the bar requests 40 cases," says Mary Brittain-White, CEO, Retriever Communications, which focuses on mobile customer solutions for the field. "That delivery worker can use his smartphone to quickly place the order for more cases of beer." Moreover, by automating the ordering process, she says, "companies can see increased sales and maximize the productivity of their mobile workers."
10. Monitor inventory and restock on the go. "I own Shop4Sparkles.com, which is an online accessories company, and I monitor sales on my smart phone," explains Susan DiMezza. "When an item goes out of stock, I am alerted via my smartphone. I immediately contact my vendors to see if there is more in inventory and then add it to our inventory (via the smartphone) as soon as possible," she explains. "This is great, especially when we have an especially hot item!"
Sign up for CIO Asia eNewsletters.