Benchmarking CIO performance
In the panel discussion wrapping up the event, panellists discussed the requirements for a successful CIO.
Rafiza believed that an effective CIO had to be in a C-suite position. "The CIO must be involved in the strategy and business direction of the organisation. Then only can they advise on the technology needed for an effective outcome," she stated. "There has to be a convergence between IT and the business, with CIOs contributing to the overall performance of the organisation. The CIO's performance has to be directly correlated to the business."
Pacific Inter-Link Sdn Bhd Regional Head, Information Technology, Fazley Rabbi believed that IT benchmarks had been shifting over the past few years. "There are different criteria involved with different organisations having different goals, thus there is no single benchmark," he said. "However, CIOs are now increasingly focused on business rather than being technology-oriented. With less IT infrastructure headaches, CIOs today are more engaged with the business vision and perspective as well as stakeholders and shareholder concerns."
Other stories from CIO Conference 2017:
- [Philippines] MedGrocer allows organisations to go paperless in managing medical benefits
- [Philippines] How DepEd is digitalising Philippines' education sector
- [Philippines] Insurance startup turns to mobile technology and social media to extend services
- [Philippines] Getting smart in manufacturing
- [Philippines] What is the true cost of mismanaged digital projects?
- [Philippines] Are other C-level excutives qualified to take up the CIO role
- [Philippines] How Philippine businesses are faring in the digital transformation race
- [Singapore] Four sustainability tips for startups in Asia
- [Singapore] Cybersecurity lessons from the Bangladesh Bank heist
- [Singapore] Embracing disruptive innovation to reduce customer friction
- [Singapore] How to become a successful CIO
- [Singapore] Why organisations should embrace disruption
- [Singapore] How to win in the digital transformation economy: CIO Conference SG
Sign up for CIO Asia eNewsletters.