Subscribe / Unsubscribe Enewsletters | Login | Register

Pencil Banner

Without mandatory signups, is Google+ adrift?

Sharon Gaudin | Sept. 24, 2014
Analysts debate whether Google is abandoning its social network or simply changing course.

google plus logo

Now that Google has backed away from requiring new Gmail users to automatically sign up for Google+, analysts are wondering whether the company is giving up on its social network.

Earlier this month, Google stopped mandating a Google+ signup for new Gmail users, but the company denies the move has anything to do with its commitment to the network. Google+ has largely remained in Facebook's shadow for all of its three years.

Google had required creation of a Google+ account for new Gmail users since December 2011.

"We updated the signup experience in early September," a Google spokeswoman said via email. "Users can now create a public profile during signup, or later, if and when they share public content for the first time (like a restaurant review, YouTube video or Google+ post)."

She said that the network's user base is growing, but declined to give any numbers on how many people now use Google+ or its growth rate.

Last October, the company reported that Google+ had about 300 million active monthly users. Since then, Goole has offered little information about the social network's user base. Unless growth has skyrocketed in recent months, it is likely still a distant second to rival Facebook and its more than 1 billion users.

Also prompting questions about Google's commitment to the social network was its absence at Google I/O, the company's major developer conference, last spring. None of Google's executives mentioned it during a long and far-ranging keynote, nor did it warrant a Google I/O session or panel.

The silence about Google+ followed the departure of Vic Gundotra, a senior vice president and the head of Google+, in April. Gundotra -- the public face of Google+, not to mention its biggest cheerleader -- didn't just step aside. He left the company.

That raised doubts about the future of Google+ and whether it would falter without its steadfast leader.

"It appears that one of two things are happening," said Patrick Moorhead, an analyst with Moor Insights & Strategy. "Either they are slowly backing off their commitment or the forced signups to Google+ are causing a high degree of dissatisfaction with consumers."

He added that Google+, which rolled out in June 2011, seems to be stagnating, both in terms of industry discussion and in terms of Google's own excitement.

"I honestly do not remember the last time they added a feature or even communicated something important about the platform," said Moorhead. "They didn't even discuss it at their premiere developer event, Google I/O, which, to me, spoke volumes. I think it's safe to say they are backing away from Google+. It is unclear if they are abandoning it, but it is clear they are not improving it."

 

1  2  Next Page 

Sign up for CIO Asia eNewsletters.