LinkedIn executives announced on Thursday (January 10, 2013) that their online professional network had officially hit 200 million membership mark.
"New members continue to join LinkedIn at a rate of two per second and the company has added more than 13 million members since its last announcement on November 1, 2012," they said in a statement on Thursday.
"Today, LinkedIn counts more than 160 million unique monthly visitors and is the 23rd most visited Web property in the world," they went on to say, citing findings in November 2012 by comScore, a research firm specialising in digital world user movement, trends and development.
Other statistical bits LinkedIn shared on the day include the following.
* Countries with the most LinkedIn members: the US (74 million), India (18 million), Brazil (11 million), Britain (11 million) and Canada (7 million).
* More than 37 million members reside in Asia-Pacific.
* More than 64 percent of LinkedIn members reside outside of the US.
* The country with the fastest growing number of members on LinkedIn is Turkey, followed by Colombia and Indonesia.
* Industries with the greatest representation on LinkedIn are IT and services (with 4 million network members coming from the sector), financial services (2.03 million), higher education (1.95 million), computer software (1.65 million) and telecommunications (1.59 million).
* The most followed members on LinkedIn are: businessman Richard Branson, POTUS Barack Obama, inspirational speakers Deepak Chopra and Tony Robbins, and the CEO of LinkedIn Jeff Weiner.
Sign up for CIO Asia eNewsletters.