Photo - Ir Dr Karl Ng, Director, Innovation Capital, MDeC
A new online platform called 'Big Community' targeting Big Data analytics (BDA) professionals and companies will help strengthen Malaysia's national BDA ecosystem, said national ICT agency Multimedia Development Corporation (MDeC).
During the recent launch of 'Big Community' in Kuala Lumpur, Ir Dr Karl Ng, director, Innovation Capital, for Multimedia Development Corporation (MDeC), said the portal is to provide a platform for knowledge-sharing, collaboration, discussion and networking opportunities.
Supported by MDeC, Southeast Asia IT publisher Asia Online Publishing Group (AOPG) will manage the portal. Dr Ng said that one key feature was the 'Big Expert' tab, which helps users connect with leading big data experts and data scientists such as Jothi Periasamy, who is chief data scientist at Experfy (Harvard Innovation Lab); Richard Stirling, international at Open Data Institute in the UK (who discussed Malaysia's big data ambitions in an interview last year with Computerworld Malaysia); and Niall Wynne, data analytics manager at Data Ireland.
"One of our main goals is to increase awareness on Big Data Analytics and encourage adoption among businesses in the country," he said. "Together with AOPG, we developed the 'Big Community' as a strategic, robust platform to provide local businesses access to 'bigger' and more global opportunities in data analytics."
Other features include
- News section: Updates on the latest Big Data news, developments and opportunities
- Education section: Features various educational programmes and courses from Institute of Higher Learnings, both local and international
- Employment section: Relevant job opportunities in the country and around the world
- Events section: Updates on industry summits, conferences and gatherings
- Social feed: Extending conversations to the Big Community Twitter page, @BigCommunityKL
"With more companies adopting this disruptive technology supported by a robust ecosystem, and made possible by the National BDA Initiative, we will be able to position Malaysia as the leading regional hub for BDA, and open doors to more investment opportunities," added Dr Ng.
For more information, please visit bigcommunity.net
Sign up for CIO Asia eNewsletters.