According to the tech giant’s media statement, Google Maps aims to be a mobile application that doubles up as an essential travel companion.
Containing comprehensive, accurate maps across 220 countries and territories, the app features voice-guided GPS navigation as well as public transport directions and maps. Besides that, the app also carries live traffic conditions and incident reports, which enables automatic rerouting to find the best route when necessary.
Some of the improvements include:
- New filters which allow browsing through restaurants, bars and hotels by opening hours, rating, price, and more
- Saving offline maps to a custom list
- Comprehensive public transport results, which now displays total walking time for the trip and the next scheduled bus or train
- Virtual exploration of places with Street View, as well as indoor imagery of restaurants, museums and more with Business Photos (through integration with Google Earth)
- Detailed floor plans of indoor spaces such as shopping malls, large retail stores and museums
- Integration with Google Search, which makes it easier and faster for users to pinpoint businesses and/or points of interest with addresses, phone numbers and reviews
- Access to saved places on Google Maps across all devices when signed in
Google Maps is available for both Android and iOS mobile devices, and can be downloaded from Google Play or iTunes app store.
Sign up for CIO Asia eNewsletters.