Eighty-six percent of Singaporean companies believe that their business growth is tied to them allowing their employees to choose which technologies available in the marketplace to use for work.
The technologies include social media apps, office apps, cloud storage marketing auto apps and CRM software.
This is part of the findings from Blue Coat Systems', a business assurance technology provider, recent global survey of more than 1,900 business and IT leaders. It was written by the Economist Intelligence Unit and conducted by Vanson Bourne.
It was also found that 24 percent of Singaporean companies have already seen increased profits by empowering employees to use their chosen new technologies.
Despite understanding that providing employees with greater technology choice would drive greater profitability, efficiency and innovation, most companies are still hesitant to do so. Security was cited as the biggest obstacle, as agreed by 78 percent of the Singaporean companies surveyed.
Using security as a business enabler
Companies might have once perceived security as a hindrance to adoption of new IT technologies but this is no longer so.
Hugh Thompson, chief security strategist and senior vice president of Blue Coat, said that more companies are viewing security as an enabler for them to seize opportunities and use new technologies (or even consumer apps) safely, without getting in the way of business operations.
Understanding that traditional security methods are rigid, therefore preventing companies from empowering employees to safely use technologies, apps or devices, Blue Coat has launched its Business Assurance Technology blueprint.
Made up of five technology centres, the Business Assurance Technology enables companies to unlock the business potential by harnessing technology in a secure and safe way, said Thompson.
The five centres are the:
- Security and Policy Enforcement Center which delivers business continuity by protecting against threats and data loss. Companies can thus provide their employees with a safe Internet and network;
- Mobility Empowerment Center which extends protection and policy to users regardless of location and device used, enabling companies to drive mobile business initiatives;
- Trusted Application Center that enables companies to safely deploy and consume all types of applications;
- Performance Center which aligns IT infrastructure with key business strategies to ensure network performance and optimise user experience across the extended enterprise; and
- Resolution Center which provides businesses with advanced threat protection by combining security intelligence and analytics with a large network effect from 75 million global users. This allows companies to adjust security policies according to in-depth security analytics and quickly recover from a data breach.
Sign up for CIO Asia eNewsletters.