Prentice lists the five major platforms of digital business:
- Information systems platform, which supports the back office, and operations such as enterprise resource planning and core systems.
- Customer experience platform, which contains the main customer-facing elements, such as customer and citizen portals, multichannel commerce and customer apps.
- Data and analytics platform, which contains information management and analytical capabilities. Data management programs and analytical applications fuel data-driven decision making, and algorithms automate discovery and action.
- Internet of Things (IoT) platform, which connects physical assets for monitoring, optimization, control and monetisation. Capabilities include connectivity, analytics and integration to core and operational technology systems.
- Ecosystems platform, which supports the creation of, and connection to, external ecosystems, marketplaces and communities; API management, control and security are its main elements.
"You can't afford to stay on the sidelines of this digital and algorithmic business wave. Define your algorithm, AI, ecosystem and digital platform strategies now," says Prentice.
Sign up for CIO Asia eNewsletters.