Prerequisites for the CPM:
- A Bachelor’s university degree or above, or globally equivalent; OR Certified Project Professional (CPP).
- Minimum 4 years / 48 months non-overlapping project and program management experience during which at least 5,000 hours are spent leading and directing project tasks in all project and program management domains.
- 36 contact hours of CPM project and program management training on CPPMGuide syllabus.
- Pass the 3- hour CPM Examination, which is comprised of questions based on the IAPPM CPPMGuide Body of Knowledge.
The cost is $370 for the certification, a $70 annual fee, and a $70 annual renewal fee (for fellows, members or associate levels).
IAPPM also offers a Certified Project Professional (CPP) which costs $400, aimed at entry-level project managers or team members and students. This would be similar to PMI’s CAPM. Individuals could obtain the CPP credentials and leverage it towards the CPM certification.
MPM (Master Project Manager)
The American Academy of Project Management (AAPM), founded in 1996, is a Global Board of Standards and Accreditation Council for project management industry professionals. The AAPM has developed the Master Project Manager (MPM) certification similar to PMI’s PMP certification. This certification is for senior business professionals, project and program managers who are looking to fortify their project management knowledge in the business world through professional certification. Similar to PMI and IAPPM, there are prerequisites that provide some assurances that the applicant has demonstrated some level of knowledge and experience before obtaining the certification, although not as rigorous.
Prerequisites for the MPM:
- 3+ years of project management experience.
- Applicants are required to submit the resume to the Board for review and approval.
- Applicants that have less than three years project management experience they may be granted a waiver if they hold a Master’s degree, possess other approved training, have a military background or are project management trainers.
The cost for the application is $300, no exam fee is required.
AAPM also offers a Certified International Project Manager (CIPM) and a Project Manager E-Business (PME) certification.
CompTIA is a not-for-profit trade organization that developed its first certification back in 1993. The CompTIA Project+ certification belongs to its professional series of certifications and is very similar in nature to PMI’s CAPM in that it is an entry-level, vendor neutral, project management credential developed through input from external industry experts.
Prerequisites for the CompTIA Project+:
- This certification has no prerequisites.
- However, one year of managing, directing or participating in small- to medium-scale projects is recommended prior to pursuing this certification.
The benefit in obtaining the certification is the absence of education and experience prerequisites, yet the drawback also may be the absence of these prerequisites, which demonstrate a rudimentary level of knowledge acquired prior to certification. This is a great option for students and candidates seeking project management knowledge without the process of meeting demanding requirements.
Sign up for CIO Asia eNewsletters.