Ultimately, the strategic benefit of reducing the cost and time devoted to backup is the real goal. Being able to free up precious resources to focus the IT team on more strategic and innovative IT projects creates the real win for your business.
In order to consider how your business is maximizing their discretionary IT spending, we recommend that you perform a Backup Health Check to get an objective review of your backup environment in terms of its ability to meet your business requirements around protecting and restoring your business data. A third-party service provider or vendor can also help do the assessment.
The objectives of the health check are to:
- Discover your current infrastructure
- Identify key challenges facing your oganisation
- Propose solutions to address immediate pains
- Set the groundwork to plan for a long-term strategy.
The different options to consider include
- Backup as a Service: Provisioning and management of backup infrastructure on customers' premises.
- Backup Replication Service: Replication of backups to the Logicalis Cloud for additional protection and data retention.
- Managed Backup: Full 24x7 monitoring and management of customer owned infrastructure.
Businesses of all sizes are witnessing an explosion in the volume of data they hold. Whether it is the result of the Internet, email, or increasingly heavy and media-rich application software, there is a massive growth in the volume of data all around. Data storage and backup solutions thus become a very important part of your overall IT investment.
The health check is a necessary first step to address any issues and make recommendations. The check will also help your organisation decide if backup can be adequately managed in house.
Often, if you want to protect your information and use them more efficiently, but do not have the resources to build out an elaborate backup strategy, a great alternative is to consider a BaaS approach and to obtain storage and protection services from third party service providers who offer data protection anddisaster recovery as part of their offerings.
Sign up for CIO Asia eNewsletters.