An IDC WAN and Communication survey conducted last year found enterprises in the APAC region citing three major imperatives around implementing flexible networking solutions like software-defined WAN (SD-WAN).
- Reduced hardware costs from the migration of edge equipment into the network and implementing network functions on consolidated appliance platforms
- A holistic and centrally controlled management over public and private cloud infrastructures
- Highly responsive delivery of real-time data to support business functions in a rapidly changing marketplace
Entering the final lap with SD-WAN
While it's been established that network virtualisation can give organisations a head start in the race to DX, the following components need to be considered:
- Evolve your race strategy: To be successful, DX has to be an enterprise strategy, merging and evolving IT capabilities holistically across enterprise infrastructure, in concert with the evolution of digital business models. This requires an overarching vision for the evolution of that architecture, and a comprehensive strategy that allows for end-to-end automation of the IT stack - from the add-on applications and down to the underlying end points.
- It's a team effort to nail the pit stop: While drivers often get the recognition, racing is a team sport. Partner well with ICT vendors who understand and are influencing the evolving network landscape and those that have a strong ecosystem of knowledgeable and relevant partners.
- Records are only broken when they are conscientiously measured: If it's not measured, it does not go down as a record. In the constantly changing Asia Pacific business landscape, organisations need to monitor, measure and analyse in order to gain a better understanding of how workloads and application deployments are placing additional demands on the network so that they can continue to evolve their strategy.
The network is the driving force in meeting the needs of the future enterprise - it needs to be flexible and adaptable to handle the increasing demands of disruptive technologies and business models. It's time for organisations to harness the agile software-defined WAN for accelerated innovation and business agility to advance towards the final lap of DX.
Sign up for CIO Asia eNewsletters.