I have been using my Samsung Galaxy S4 for almost two months now. It is as pretty today as it was the day I got it. The screen is big and bright. I have customized the look and feel of the phone, installed all of the apps I want, all of my accounts, etc. Overall, the phone is fine for doing most standard tasks that I perform on my phone. However, there are sometimes that the phone just is not up to what I need or what my iPhone did better.
Following is my list of what I don't like about my S4:
1. Camera - Yes it has uber megapixels. It has all those cool features that can make people disappear from your picture and all that. But God darn it, I have yet to take one good picture with this phone! All of my pictures are blurry. I keep cleaning the lens thinking maybe that's it. Maybe I have a setting wrong. Are any of you getting great pictures with the S4? Let me know. In the meantime, I keep playing with the settings thinking that there must be something I am doing wrong.
2. Contacts disappear - I don't know what it is, but after I make two or three calls in a row, I will hit contacts and wind up with a blank white screen. I need to close down all my open apps and sometimes it works after that, other times I need to reboot my phone.
3. Searching contacts doesn't work - I have too many contacts on my phone (4000+), but sometimes when I try to search through them it doesn't work. No matter what my search string is, all of my contacts still show up. Again, I need to close and reboot. Very frustrating!
4. Auto correct with native keyboard - Not good. I have since switched keyboards to Swiftkey and the autocorrect is a little better. Overall, though, as bad as Apple's auto correct is, it is miles ahead of what I have with the S4.
5. Battery life - I can't make it through a day without recharging the battery. I realize I am a power user, but I expect more out of my battery. Again, the iPhone gave me a better experience.
6. Blank screen when phone call is on — Like the iPhone, when you are on a call and put the phone to your ear, the screen goes blank. This is important as otherwise you would press buttons with your face (this happened to me with the iPhone). The problem with the S4 is that after I take the phone away from my face, it stays blank. So if I want to add someone to the call or even just hang up, I can't do it.
Sign up for CIO Asia eNewsletters.